Whilst 2020 will undoubtedly go down in history as an incredibly bleak, depressing and miserable year, a lot of good things also happened this year. And while I believe it’s important to acknowledge the darkness we’ve witnessed in 2020, I think it’s also important to look for the light. And so, in the spirit of light-searching, here are twenty great stories from 2020. I hope you enjoy them!
1. People in India were able to see the Himalayan Mountain Range for the first time in decades following a drop in air pollution. Read about it.
2. Captain Tom Moore’s NHS fundraiser lifted lockdown blues. Read about it.
3. Humpback whales have made a remarkable comeback! It’s great news for the whales, and for the environment, as whales help to keep carbon out of the atmosphere. Read about it.
4. Hundreds of cities worldwide made streets into cycling and pedestrian pathways, and they plan to keep it that way. Read about it.
5. Australia welcomed their first koala joey born since the bushfires, a girl named Ash. Read about it.
6. Scotland became the first country in the world to make period products free! Read about it.
7. Crayola revealed a new crayon pack of skin tone colours from around the world to promote inclusivity. Read about it.
8. Galapagos tortoises returned home having saved their species, as part of the Giant Tortoise Restoration Initiative. Read about it.
9. A teacher from India won the 2020 Global Teacher Prize, and shared half of his $1m winnings with the runners-up in the competition. Read about it.
10. Samira Nasr became the first Black Editor-in-Chief of Harper’s Bazaar in its 153-year history. Read about it.
11. A wombat and a koala became unexpected friends after meeting at an Australian zoo. Read about it.
12. Over one million people joined together to post photos of themselves getting dressed up to take the bins out. Read about it.
13. 11-year-old ballet dancer, Madu Mmesoma Anthony from Nigeria, received a scholarship from a New York dance school after his inspiring rain ballet performance went viral. Read about it.
14. Chris Evans sent a Captain America shield to a 6-year-old boy who saved his little sister from a dog attack. Read about it.
15. Indigenous Amazon leader, Nemonte Nenquimo, has won the world’s foremost award for grassroots environmental activism for her organizing work to save Ecuador’s rainforests. Read about it.
16. Sprout, a Danish start-up company, has come up with an idea that lets your own Christmas trees from pencils. Read about it.
17. UK supermarkets have significantly reduced single-use plastic in their products this Christmas. Read about it.
18. Eight-year-old Selah Thompson is on a mission to give away two million books to underprivileged kids. Read about it.
19. After a year of global crisis, millions respond with massive swell of generosity and shared humanity on GivingTuesday 2020. Read about it.
20. An Australian woman discovers a surprising new decoration nestled in the branches of her Christmas tree – a koala! Read about it.